PART 2: PVC VS ALUMINIUM VS WOODEN – WHICH SHUTTERS SHOULD I BUY?
PVC VS ALUMINIUM VS WOODEN
In part 1 of this month’s blog, we looked at the different uses for both PVC and wooden shutters, we unpacked each shutter to understand how it’s built and how this affected the use thereof. In part two of our conversation, we bring aluminium shutters into the conversation to see how they compare to the other shutters and answer the question of; Which shutters should I buy?
This might seem, as an easy question to answer because we are industry experts, the best answer for this question always lies with the client. This is because the client is the one who needs the shutters and knows best where they will be installed and of what use they will be for.
Without wasting any more time, let’s look at aluminium shutters and unpack their benefits and where they can be used.
Aluminium has been the ideal medium for windows and doors in South African homes for some time now. This is attributed to the fact that aluminium is available in an unlimited range of colours and sizes and is also cost-efficient. Aluminium windows and doors have proven to be durable and weather-resistant and require very little maintenance, these factors have continued to play a role in aluminium being preferred in many homes. When correctly installed, aluminium windows and doors meet all environmental regulations, and with the correct glazing choice, heat loss can be kept to a minimum for your aluminium windows and doors.
Advantages of Aluminium Shutters
- Aluminium shutters are currently the most cost-effective option on the SA market
- Aluminium shutters can be customisable – particularly for unusual openings
- Aluminium shutters come in 4 standard colour options and an endless variety of custom colours
- Aluminium windows and doors are easy to install
- Aluminium is virtually maintenance-free
Aluminium shutters do however come with a minor disadvantage; the insulation properties of aluminium shutters are dependent on the selected glazing.
Before we conclude to which shutters are the best buy, let’s have a quick recap of the advantages and disadvantages of PVC and wooden shutters.
Advantages of PVC Shutters
- PVC shutters have excellent insulation properties resulting in high energy efficiency.
- PVC shutters have long warranties
- PVC shutters offer a tilt and turn the option
- PVC is maintenance-free
Advantages of Wooden Shutters
- Wooden shutters are aesthetically pleasing
- Wooden shutters can be customised
- Wooden shutters have excellent natural insulation properties
- Wooden shutters are energy efficient
- Wooden shutters come in a variety of finishes
Disadvantages of Wooden Shutters
- Wooden shutters require regular maintenance
- Wooden shutters are more expensive than aluminium shutters after glazing and painting or varnishing
Choosing the perfect shutters for your home is all dependent on where your shutters will be installed, this is what informs the best option for you. At Shutterlux Shutters we are here to help you make the best choice for your home and of course your pocket.